The Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital Mahidol University and global digital business DB Results Thailand continue their partnership to deliver significant digital transformation in healthcare for Thailand’s largest and busiest hospital. Here we look at digitising the Pathology Management process.
Siriraj Hospital currently processes 60,000 pathology specimens a year. The processes to manage these specimens are almost entirely manual. Each specimen is manually registered and allocated to a Pathologist and Assistant or Resident using manual processes. The processes are across individual departments, using paper notes, spreadsheets, and whiteboards.
The Pathology team also needed to ensure they were providing Residents (Mahidol University medical students) with the appropriate level of Pathology training as part of their studies and work experience. Similarly, these were being recorded and managed manually via spreadsheets, whiteboards, and paper notes across departments.
Siriraj engaged DB Results to transform a laborious paper-based and manual process into a well-organized and easily maintainable digital solution. Using their collaborative DB Digital Methodology, DB Results worked with the Pathology users, applying design thinking techniques to understand the users’ needs, pain points and reporting requirements. The process ensured the correct medical staff were assigned to the pathology cases, particularly the Residents (medical students) as this is part of their medical training under the Faculty of Medicine.
The Pathology Application reduces the manual pathology processes by allowing:
- a simple registration of the Pathology specimen into the application,
- assistance in managing the pathology work by providing Pathology coordinators allocation options for the Pathologists, Assistants and Residents based on their workload,
- reporting to help manage the experience of Residents.
The Pathology Management application:
- has replaced the manual process of registration and the manual allocation across departments with a digital-based system,
- has removed the risk of manual process errors,
- has a Dashboard that allows users to navigate to the functions they need to perform their work,
- integrates into the hospital core system to ensure data integrity,
- is a multi-language capability in the solution,
- Logs activity into an audit log,
- helps manage the work experience of Residents (medical students) for their medical training.